For most people, their garage door is the most visible and largest moving object in their homes. If you’ve replaced your old one, then you’ll want to keep it looking as good as possible and in the best working order for years to come.
At the Garage Door and Automation Company, we don’t believe in keeping secrets from our customers; we’re happy to pass on the benefit of our years of experience and expertise to help you get the most out of your purchase.
Here are our top tips for looking after your new garage doors:
- Make sure you tell everyone in the home that you’re checking the door, so that no-one opens it by accident. You must also ensure that you isolate from the power supply if your door is automated.
- Give the door a visual inspection, which should be carried out monthly. Standing inside the garage, pay attention to the cables, springs, rollers, pulleys and even the hinges – checking for signs of wear and tear. If something doesn’t look as it should, such as the cables fraying, then give us a ring and we’ll be happy to help.
- If you have an automatic opener, then you can carry out a monthly balance test. Turn the opener off and try to open the door, using your hands. It should open smoothly and without any strain involved. Once opened, the door should stay open until you close it. Doors that are difficult to open may need to be serviced and spring tension adjusted.
- You can check your door’s reversing mechanism by opening it fully and placing an obstacle in the way of it shutting, such as a piece of wood. Using your automatic opener, close the door. Once it hits the wood, it should start to open again. If it doesn’t, the automatic opener may need adjusting/ replacing.
- You can keep things running smoothly by spraying lubricant onto the rollers and hinges, the tracks normally need a light silicone spray. Both of these actions will need to be carried out once every six months.
- It is important to wash down the paint work on a regular basis to remove oxidised paint and salt deposit, as well as toxic bird droppings.
Your garage door is an integral and important part of your home and you want it to perform to its best ability. These simple tips will help to ensure that it remains in its best condition for as long as possible.
To contact us for further information, just click here.